Your Potential Plan of Action for Getting an ETA to Visit Australia

While visiting a foreign country the first thing on your to-do list usually is to get a visa. A visa is mostly represented as a sticker on your passport. However, individuals from some specific countries get the perk of visiting another foreign country without a visa. If such a visa exempt person wants to visit Australia, he or she will have to get an Electronic Travel Authorization or ETA first.

Who needs an ETA?

People belonging to certain countries like- Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Japan, Brunei, South Korea, Canada and USA have visa exemption for Australia. Any individual from these countries must apply for and get an authorised ETA to enter Australia. If they fail to do so, the Australian Government will not allow their passage in the country.

People visiting the country as a tourist, visiting family or friends or for business must get an ETA. After being issued the permit, the person can stay in Australia for up to three months within a twelve month period.


How to apply for it:

Getting an ETA is a pretty simple job. You just need your passport, your credit card for payment and a valid email address. If you have an Australian visa already, you don’t need a separate permit. For others-

  • Firstly, you need to fill out an online application for the ETA. Be meticulous while putting the application out because the ETA will not be authorised if it is erroneous.
  • Next, you need to pay a certain amount of money in exchange for the service.
  • After the above formalities are complete, your ETA will get authorised by the Government officials.

Even though the process is not a long drawn one, it is better to make an application as soon as your travel plans to Australia are confirmed.

It is best to keep in mind that even after obtaining an authorised ETA you might not be allowed to enter Australia. The permit does not guarantee a passage in the country.